If someone were to ask me to sing aloud the ‘Vicco Turmeric’ ad right now, I can recite it in a single breath. Putting aside all the conditioning plus brainwashing that some ads do, there are a few special jingles that have just somehow stuck with us through childhood (and more recent time, for some). You would expect to have forgotten them, but surprise! You can still sing them, word for word.
To be honest, a LOT of these were fun. And they made for some pretty great TV memories too. So I decided to scoop up 23 of the most prominent yesteryear Indian ad jingles and revisit the good old days.
1. You And I In This Beautiful World – Hutch (Vodafone)
The pug just became Vodafone’s brand ambassador after this one was aired.
2. Jab Ghar Ki Raunak Badhani Ho – Nerolac
You remember all the drumming of paint brushes on paint cans and then the dancing, don’t you?
3. Amul, The Taste Of India – Amul
Other than their hilarious and witty billboards, Amul’s ad song is just as evergreen as it was in the 90s.
4. Ye Dil Maange More – Pepsi
Shahid, Rani, Kajol and King Khan himself starred in this one and then there was ‘Yeh Pyaas Hai Badi – PEPSI!’ too.
5. Har Ek Friend Zaroori Hota Hai – Airtel
With A.R. Rehman composing Airtel’s quintessential instrumental tune that has become synonymous with ‘ringtones’ as a whole, we really liked this one as well.
6. Kya Aap Close-Up Karte Hai? – Close-Up
God, I hated the nasal voice, but that’s what made it stick like glue to my memory. *Recall lessons*
7. The Little Things You Do For Me – Vodafone
The one that I hummed for days on end.
8. Googly Woogly Woosh – Ponds
Not sure if Ponds actually gave you those baby cheeks, but it was one of the quirkiest jingles of the time.
9. Tum Jo Mil Gaye Ho – Coke
There was Kalki and Imraan and a sexy, slow melody by Nirmal Rawat.
10. Dimaag Ki Batti Jala De – Mentos
Who’d ever thought of associating a ball of mint with evolution?
11. Hamara Bajaj – Bajaj
Classic old melody that pops up every time you see a Bajaj fan or even those rare old scooters.
12. Washing Powder Nirma – Nirma
‘Doodh si safedi, Nirma se aaye, rangeen kapda bhi khil khil jaaye’.
13. Vicco Turmeric – Vicco
This one still plays in a lot of cinema halls during the interval and I still sing along. Of course.
14. Mango Fruity, Fresh And Juicy – Fruity
Maybe the jingle stuck, but I absolutely LOVED the latest one with SRK and those tiny tots playing football.
15. You’re My Pumpkin Pumpkin Hello Hunny Bunny – Idea
Well, it was annoying, but as much as I hate to say this, I did unconsciously hum it after.
16. Kiss Me – Cadbury Silk
Even the Bubbly one was super cute!
17. Vicks Ki Goli Lo, Khich Khich Door Karo – Vicks
Who remembers the evil cartoon drawing representation of ‘cough’ in this ad?
18. Chubti Jalti Garmi – Dermicool
If you do recognize the singer of this one, I’ll hand you an award. (Hint: His second name is Kher)
19. Lijjat Papad – Lijjat
The bunny in there used to creep me out. *Honest confessions*
20. Doodh Doodh Piyo Glass Doodh – Amul
I hated milk but I loveddddd this ad.
21. Sirf Ek Saridon Aur Sar Dard Se Aaram – Saridon
The old ad was super dramatic, but this one suffices for revisiting all those jingle memories.
22. Lifebuoy Hai Jahaan Tandurusti Hai Wahan – Lifebuoy
‘Bunty, tera saboon slow hai kya?’ – I liked this version too.
23. Dhaara Dhaara Shuddh Dhaara – Dhaara Oil